Football: Cameron Green retires due to family history of concussions, head injuries

Cameron+Green+celebrates+a+touchdown+last+December.+The+superback+said+in+a+Tweet+on+Monday+that+he+is+retiring+from+football.+

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Cameron Green celebrates a touchdown last December. The superback said in a Tweet on Monday that he is retiring from football.

Andrew Golden and Peter Warren

Football

Northwestern superback Cameron Green announced his retirement from football on Monday. The junior from Buffalo Grove, Illinois, released a statement on Twitter, citing head injuries as his reason for retiring.

“Unfortunately, due to concussion and head injuries within my family, I have chosen to step away from the game,” Green said in a tweet from his account. “Though the love of the game will be everlasting in me, the love for family and health overpowers all.”

Green was slated to be one of the Wildcats’ top pass-catchers heading into his senior season. After reeling in just 24 catches in his first two seasons, Green had a breakout year in 2018 after converting to superback, catching 57 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns. He finished the season ranked second on the team in receptions and third in receiving yards.

After the retirement of sophomore running back Jeremy Larkin in September, Green is now the second player to retire from NU due to medical reasons in the last 12 months.

Green is the son of Mark Green, who played college football at Notre Dame and played in the NFL with the Chicago Bears from 1989 to 1992. His major is learning and organizational change.

A spokesman for the Northwestern athletic department deferred comment until after tomorrow’s first spring practice.

In the meantime, coach Pat Fitzgerald quote-tweeted Green’s announcement.

“Heck of a player and an even better young man,” Fitzgerald tweeted. “Can’t wait to see what’s next!”

Twitter: @andrewcgolden

Twitter: @thepeterwarren