Bienen professor, NU alumni win at the 61st Grammy Awards

Source: Becky Oehlers Photography

Bienen Prof. Donald Nally. Nally won his second Grammy on Sunday for Best Choral Performance

Elizabeth Byrne, Campus Editor

Bienen Prof. Donald Nally and Northwestern alumni Katrina Lenk (Bienen ‘97) and Adam Kantor (Communication ‘08) won awards at the 61st Grammy Awards on Sunday.

Nally, who conducts the Philadelphia-based chamber choir The Crossing, won the 2019 Grammy award for Best Choral Performance for “Zealot Canticles.” The commissioned work was composed by Lansing McLoskey. This is Nally’s second consecutive Grammy Award win and his third consecutive nomination.

He previously won the 2018 Grammy Award for Best Choral Performance for The Crossing’s performance of Gavin Bryars’ “The Fifth Century.” Nally also received a Grammy nomination in 2017 in the same category for The Crossing’s performance of Thomas Lloyd’s “Bonhoeffer.”

In a news release sent to The Daily, Nally said the Grammy award belongs to the singers, instrumentalists and the composer of the piece.

“Having our work heard by an ever-increasing audience is part of the reason we make art, and we are grateful to the Recording Academy and its members for recognizing our work,” Nally said in the release. “It is truly humbling to have so many artists and friends invest everything into a project that means so much and has a strong message, and then see that it is being heard by many people beyond our local, and amazing family.”

Lenk and Kantor also received Grammy Awards for Best Musical Theater Album for their work as principal vocalists in “The Band’s Visit.” Lenk also previously won the 2018 Tony Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in Musical for the production of “The Band’s Visit.”

The televised 61st Grammy Awards took place at the Los Angeles Staples Center on Sunday.

Twitter: @lizbyrne33