Free workshops, classes for District 65 families start next week

Clare Proctor, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston/Skokie School District 65 will offer four workshops and classes for family members in the district starting next week.

District 65 is working with the Evanston Public Library and Oakton Community College to provide free 6-week classes and workshops, according to the District 65 website. The four classes offered this session include high school equivalency GED classes, computer classes, a knitting club and a Life Skills and Resources workshop series.

The computer classes offer instruction on basic use of the internet and electronic devices, including personal computers, smartphones, Kindles and tablets. It will also teach family members how to navigate district-related websites and online forms. The class meets on Saturdays and Sundays.

The Life Skills and Resources workshop will meet Friday evenings and will feature a series of speakers to discuss career options and offer health and expert advice.

District 65 has previously offered other classes and workshops, including a Spanish Conversation workshop and a Parents as Educational Partners class, which taught parents to participate in and advocate for their children’s schooling.

Childcare will be offered for the GED classes, knitting club and Life Skills and Resources workshop series. Classes will run from Feb. 11 to March 22 at EPL and the Joseph E. Hill Education Center.

Twitter: @ceproctor23