Evanston to host many holiday offerings this December

Daily file photo by Jacob Swan

A holiday tree. Mayor Steve Hagerty will light this year’s tree on Dec. 8.

Gabby Birenbaum, Web Editor

Evanston residents can eat, drink and carol their way through this holiday season at a plethora of winter-themed events put on by the city.

In the food and beverage category, Downtown Evanston is hosting a “Warm Bevvy Walk” on Dec. 6, where attendees can pick up warm beverages for free at participating businesses throughout downtown Evanston — including ‘spiked’ alcoholic drinks. On Dec. 13, the Main-Dempster Mile will present its first-ever “Holiday Treat Walk” where participants can collect free treats from restaurants and shops, with donations supporting the Soup at Six soup kitchen.

Evanston is also offering celebrations for specific holidays.

Tannenbaum Chabad House will host the lighting of a ten-foot menorah in celebration of Hanukkah on Dec. 5 in Fountain Square. Three days later, Mayor Steve Hagerty will light the annual tree on behalf of Downtown Evanston. At the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, the city will celebrate the first night of Kwanzaa on Dec. 26 with music, spoken word performances, dance and a lighting of the kinara, a candle holder.

On the competitive side, Evanston businesses will vie against one another starting Dec. 1 in the Downtown Evanston’s fourth annual “Holiday Window Decorating Contest.” Distinctions include “Fan Favorite” and “Best Use of Merchandise,” among others. Residents can vote for their favorite displays on the event’s Facebook page, and winners will be announced on Dec. 22.

Random Acts of Flowers is offering a $75 event called “Hope for the Holidays,” where attendees can learn to create floral centerpieces. “The Nutcracker on Ice,” a holiday classic, will run at the Robert Crown Community Center for its 44th year from Dec. 14 to Dec. 16.

A previous version of this article incorrectly identified the hosts of the tree and menorah lighting ceremonies in Fountain Square and did not attribute the “Warm Bevvy Walk” and “Holiday Window Decorating Contest” to Downtown Evanston. The Daily regrets the errors.

Twitter: @birenbomb