Norris ice rink won’t open this winter, plans iced following budget concerns

Norris+University+Center+Ice+Rink.+The+rink+will+not+open+this+year+due+to+budget+cuts+and+is+the+latest+victim+of+the+deficit.+

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Norris University Center Ice Rink. The rink will not open this year due to budget cuts and is the latest victim of the deficit.

Danny Vesurai, Reporter

The ice rink at Norris University Center will not open this winter due to budget cuts, the latest University function to fall victim to the deficit.

The news comes as University officials attempt to fill a gap of what was once projected to be $62.5 million for last fiscal year. Administrators have said the updated figure should be known within the coming weeks.

Communication junior Jeremy Pesigan said some of his “fondest memories” at Northwestern were spent at Norris’ ice rink and added he was disappointed there won’t be one this year.

“There’s nothing that could replace the ice rink,” he said. “What am I gonna do now — skate on Lake Michigan?”

In announcing the cut, University spokesman Bob Rowley said Northwestern is prioritizing attempts to minimize the impact on academic and research activities following the unexpected deficit that came earlier this year. The ice rink may be funded in the future, he added.

Northwestern opened the ice rink at Norris in winter quarter of 2011. University President Morton Schapiro proposed the idea in December 2010 after a student told him it was an old Northwestern tradition that ended prior to World War II.

The Northwestern Ice Rink was organized by the Facilities Management department, according to the Norris executive director, Jeremy Schenk. The department faced layoffs when the University decided to stall its constructions projects this year. Administrative departments were also told to cut 10 percent of its spending to combat its budget deficit.

Alan Perez contributed reporting.
This article was updated to reflect the ice rink’s official name, .
Twitter: @dvesurai