Men’s Golf: David Nyfjäll wins first career Big Ten Golfer of the Week honor

Source: Northwestern Athletics

David Nyfjäll swings. The freshman earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors.

Charlie Goldsmith, Sports Social Media Editor

Men’s Golf

After claiming the individual championship at the Chatham Hills Collegiate and recording the best 54-hole total of his career,freshman David Nyfjäll won his first Big Ten Golfer of the Week Honor.

Nyfjäll shot 11 under par in the 54 holes he played this week in Westfield, Indiana, posting rounds of 65, 68 and 72. In only his third collegiate tournament, Nyfjäll recorded 47 of the 54 at or below bar, finishing with 17 birdies and an eagle. His 205 score ranks as the ninth-best individual 54-total in school history and the second best ever among Northwestern freshmen.

“It just feels great,” Nyfjäll said. “I really don’t know how to put it in words. It just feels really good.”

After bogeying three of his first five holes in the final round, Nyfjäll rebounded overall and recorded consecutive birdies on the 17th and 18th holes. He’s the second member of the team to earn the Big Ten recognition, as senior Ryan Lumsden has won the award twice this season.

Despite poor weather in Indiana over the weekend, Nfyfall helped the Cats finish in second place.

“I thought we really had a good chance to win the tournament this week and we let it slip,” coach David Inglis said. “Everybody else was just a little bit sloppy… We didn’t quite have our best stuff. There were flashes of good things… We just didn’t quite put it all together.”

Correction: A previous version of this story included a photo that did not feature David Nyfjäll. It has since been updated. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @2021_Charlie