Mario Treto named deputy city attorney

Daily file photo by Katie Pach

Mario Treto at a city meeting. He has been promoted to deputy city attorney, after his predecessor, Michelle Masoncup, was promoted to corporation counsel.

Kristina Karisch, Summer Web Editor

Mario Treto has been named the new deputy city attorney for transactions, corporation counsel Michelle Masoncup announced in a Monday news release.

Treto, who previously served as assistant city attorney, replaces Masoncup in her old role. She was promoted to corporation counsel from deputy city attorney in late June.

In the announcement, Masoncup said the city is advertising an opening for a second deputy city attorney, who will lead the city’s litigation efforts.

Treto joined the city’s law department in 2013, according to the release. He previously worked in private practice in Chicago, focusing on commercial and residential real estate, corporate law and commercial transactions. He holds degrees from Washington University in St. Louis and the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.

According to the release, he was named a “Top Lawyer Under 40” by the Hispanic National Bar Association and the National LGBT Bar, and a “Top Latino Leader Under 40” by Hispanic business publication, Negocios Now.

Twitter: @kristinakarisch