Kellogg hosts Global Women’s Summit to discuss challenges for women in business

Kellogg+Global+Hub%2C+home+to+the+Kellogg+School+of+Management.+The+graduate+school+hosted+a+summit+this+week+to+discuss+the+issues+women+face+in+the+business+industry.+

Daily file photo by Leeks Lim

Kellogg Global Hub, home to the Kellogg School of Management. The graduate school hosted a summit this week to discuss the issues women face in the business industry.

Gabby Birenbaum, Assistant Campus Editor

The Kellogg School of Management hosted the Kellogg Global Women’s Summit this week, an inaugural event to bring women together to discuss the challenges they face in business.

More than 800 female faculty, alumnae and students attended the summit — held Tuesday and Wednesday — according to a news release. The summit included more than 80 speaker events and 30 sessions that focused on topics including growing a business, negotiating for a promotion and issues like the perceived incompatibility of normative female characteristics with those of powerful leaders.

Kellogg Dean Sally Blount, the first female dean of a top business school, said attendees should take what they learned at the conference and use the knowledge to help one another.

“Our job is to make an impact,” Blount said in her opening remarks, per the release. “We are going to bring all our knowledge, energy and passion to make that happen. The more we help each other, the more we change the world.”

Kellogg’s student body is 42 percent women, putting them in the top 10 business schools for women, according to the release.

Sherry Lansing, a former CEO of Paramount Pictures and a speaker at the summit, said the number of women who were present made her proud.

“I’m so excited by the energy in this room,” Lansing said in the release. “Women are taking over the world.”

Twitter: @birenbomb