Evanston Animal Shelter Association raises $60,000 at annual gala

Allie Goulding/Daily Senior Staffer

A volunteer walks a dog at the Evanston Animal Shelter, 2310 Oakton St. The Evanston Animal Shelter Association raised $60,000 at its third annual Tails in Bloom Gala.

Syd Stone, City Editor

The Evanston Animal Shelter Association raised $60,000 at its third annual Tails in Bloom Gala on April 7.

This year’s fundraising total is a big jump from that of last year’s gala, in which the shelter — located at 2310 Oakton St. — raised $30,000.

“We are more than just a shelter — we not only take in strays, abandoned and abused animals, but we also provide them with the rehabilitation and care that they need to become the treasured members of a family,” said Shannon Daggett, the shelter’s director of fundraising and community engagement.

Daggett said most of the shelter’s funds go toward medical costs, which donations are vital to help pay for. She said the shelter spends about $75,000 a year just on spays and neuters.

The shelter takes in dogs and cats from the Evanston area and provides medical and socialization services — which animals need in order to be adopted, Daggett said.

“Whether they need behavioral training to become ready or medical care, we really do whatever it takes in the animals’ best interest,” Daggett said.

Twitter: @sydstone16