Ty Dolla $ign, Lil B, A-Trak to perform at A&O Ball

Source: A&O Productions

Ty Dolla $ign. A&O Productions announced Sunday that the artist will perform at A&O Ball alongside Lil B and A-Trak.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

Ty Dolla $ign, Lil B and A-Trak will perform at A&O Ball on Friday, A&O Productions announced Sunday.

This is the third year in a row that For Members Only and A&O will collaborate to host Ball. The three artists will perform at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago, and Northwestern student artist collective DIAL UP will perform between sets, the news release said.

Ty Dolla $ign is a Grammy-nominated writer, producer and artist famous for songs like “Blasé” and “Love U Better.” His most recent album, Beach House 3, was released in October 2017 and reached the top 15 on the Billboard 200.

Lil B famously put a curse on former Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant before lifting it after Durant moved from the Thunder to the Golden State Warriors. Durant then won NBA Finals MVP. Lil B has also released nearly 3,000 songs and is a part of the hip hop group The Pack.

A-Trak is a DJ who founded the record label Fool’s Gold and has worked with a number of artists, including Kid Cudi, Danny Brown and Flosstradamus.

A&O co-chairwoman Louisa Wyatt said A&O and FMO are excited to bring the three artists to Ball.

“Each artist has a really exciting and accessible music catalog,” the Medill senior said. “Lil B just added 30 albums to Spotify, A-Trak is an institution in the EDM space and Ty Dolla $ign has so many bangers, so we decided it’d be a really hype show with the three of them. I think the show will be a joyous, exciting and truly ‘‘based’ occasion.”

In Sunday’s release, A&O stressed that students who are not black should not use the N-word, noting that some of Ty Dolla $ign’s and Lil B’s songs include the word.

“A&O shows are for all students, and when non-black (not just white) students say the N-word, they alienate our black peers,” the release said.

A&O concerts chair Makena Seeney said each artist will bring a different element to the show.

“We always try to have a show that a lot of people can go to — whether or not they know the artists or are really fans of their specific genres — and just have a lot of fun,” the Medill senior said. “I think all three artists that we have are very fun in pretty different ways from each other.”

An ASL interpreter will attend the event, the release also said, and students can request accessibility seating and other accommodations.

Starting Monday, tickets will be available for $10 through the Norris Box Office.

This story was updated to include that DIAL UP is a Northwestern student artist collective.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan