Dittmar exhibit focuses on bedroom artists in digital age

A+sign+for+%E2%80%9CProducing+the+Bedroom+Artist%2C%E2%80%9D+a+Dittmar+Gallery+exhibit+which+opens+Friday.+The+gallery+will+explore+how+art+made+in+an+individual%E2%80%99s+personal+space+is+created+and+distributed+in+today%E2%80%99s+society.+

Katie Pach/Daily Senior Staffer

A sign for “Producing the Bedroom Artist,” a Dittmar Gallery exhibit which opens Friday. The gallery will explore how art made in an individual’s personal space is created and distributed in today’s society.

Vy Duong, Reporter

Communication senior Anna Reishus wanted to design something “fun and comforting” for a class art project, so she created 10 circular pillows out of patterned fabric and 20 gallons of Walmart-purchased stuffing. When she heard about Dittmar Gallery’s “Producing the Bedroom Artist” exhibit, she knew her “unusual art piece” would not be wasted.

The exhibit opens Friday and seeks to converge public and private space through art. In an increasingly digital age, the gallery explores how art made in an individual’s personal space is created and distributed in today’s society, according to the exhibit’s description.

“It’s a much more personal way of looking at producing art and how every individual has their own work space,” said McCormick sophomore Ram Tiwari, one of two curators for the exhibit.

Tiwari said the exhibit showcases a diverse collection of styles and artists. Unlike many previous Dittmar exhibits this academic year, “Producing the Bedroom Artist” allowed students, faculty and staff to submit artwork.

The gallery will feature 28 pieces by 23 artists, including videos, voice recordings, paintings and collages, Tiwari said.

Co-curator Joy Kim (Communication ’18) said she and Tiwari found inspiration for the exhibit’s theme through a conversation with a friend involved in the “music scene” on campus. He brought up the idea of “bedroom artists,” which immediately resonated with Kim.

Kim said the theme exemplifies one of Dittmar’s core goals of serving underrepresented artists. It is inspiring to see the wide range of submissions from individuals passionate about the arts, and not necessarily driven by professional or monetary pursuits, she said.

“(This exhibit) is all about bringing the work that you do in private to the rest of the world,” Kim said.

Reishus said she wants visitors to enjoy and interact with her pieces. Through her artwork, she hopes to challenge the conventional image of art found in galleries, which she said sometimes can be too abstract and “hyper-intellectual.”

“I feel like society puts this obligation on you,” she said. “You go to a museum to be cultured, and there’s value in that, but I think there’s not enough emphasis or value placed on just being able to have fun.”

Tiwari said the exhibit aims to help visitors realize anyone can create art and showcase their abilities to the world. While people don’t always share the art they create in their bedrooms, he hopes this exhibit provides a platform for those works to be seen.

“All this incredible amount of talent that previously was unviewed is now getting its timeless spotlight,” Tiwari said.

Twitter: @pris_vy