Final phase of Chicago/Sheridan improvement project to begin next week

Adrian Wan, Reporter

The Chicago Avenue/Sheridan Road Corridor Project will begin its final phase of construction next week with water main installation north of Lincoln Street, according to a March 27 news release.

The release said the project will improve traffic flow and safety for pedestrians and bicyclists in downtown Evanston and on the Northwestern campus.

Plote Construction, Inc., the contractor for the project, will replace the existing water main in two stages. Meanwhile, temporary traffic staging and detour setup will be posted along the route while it undergoes construction, according to the release.

The first stage of construction on the water main will last from April 9 to May 22. The project will result in two-way traffic on Sheridan Road between Lincoln Street and Central Street, shifting traffic to the east side of the roadway.

The second stage will last from April 25 and June 7, causing southbound vehicles traveling on Sheridan Road between Ridge Avenue and Ingleside Place to be redirected to use Ridge Avenue from Isabella Street to Central Street, according to the release.

In April 2017, the city kicked off the federally and locally funded improvement project as part of a continuous effort to update the roadway system. After completing the water main installation, the road will be “patched in preparation for full-width roadway construction.” The construction is slated for late June, according to the release.

Twitter: @piuadrianw