District 65 teacher becomes finalist for Illinois teaching award

Catherine Henderson, Assistant City Editor

Kristin Mitchell — a kindergarten teacher at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Literary and Fine Arts School in Evanston — is a finalist in the annual Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Teaching & Leadership.

Golden Apple is a Illinois non-profit that aims to celebrate and support teachers, particularly at underachieving schools. For the 2018 awards, the organization received more than 650 applications from kindergarten through 3rd grade teachers, a record number according to a news release from the organization.

They selected 30 finalists, 10 of which will be announced as winners in the spring.

Northwestern provides each winner with a chance to study at NU for a quarter free of tuition. Each winner also receives a $5,000 cash award and becomes a fellow of the Golden Apple Academy, according to the release.

“This year’s award finalists … represent accomplished educators who are embracing very complex assignments to enrich and advance the lives of students,” Golden Apple president and CEO Alicia Winckler said in the release. “These awards shine a bright light on the incredible work happening in our schools.”

Last year, two Chute Middle School teachers were finalists for the Golden Apple Award, though they were not selected as winners.

Mitchell teaches math, reading, writing, social studies and science to kindergarteners.

Golden Apple will observe each teacher in the classroom and review them again during the next few months.

Twitter: @caity_henderson