Blotter: Chicago man arrested at Evanston Public Library, charged with assault

Nikki Baim, Reporter

Police arrested a 31-year-old Chicago man Wednesday afternoon at Evanston Public Library and charged him with assault.

A security guard at the EPL main branch — 1703 Orrington Ave. — called police to report a man with a gun, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The security guard then escorted the man out of the library. Once outside, the man put his bags on the ground and motioned to his waistband, Glew said.

He then said he would shoot the security guard. The security guard told police they saw the handle of a black handgun in the man’s waistband, Glew said. The man left the scene before police arrived.

Police found the man at 1637 Orrington Ave. around 4:20 p.m. The man and the area were searched, but Glew said no weapon was recovered. Police charged the man with assault.

Chicago woman charged with possession of hypodermic needles at CVS

Police arrested a 36-year-old Chicago woman Wednesday and charged her with possession of hypodermic needles at a CVS in south Evanston.

Police responded to a call from a CVS employee who said a woman was stealing merchandise, Glew said. When officers arrived on the scene, they stopped and searched the woman outside the store at 101 Asbury Ave. at 12:10 a.m.

They found two hypodermic needles inside the woman’s purse, Glew said. He added that one of the needles was uncapped.

Glew said the woman did not have a prescription for the needles. She was charged with possession of a hypodermic needle.

Twitter: @nikkibaim