Blotter: Local man charged with domestic battery in central Evanston

Jake Holland, Assistant City Editor

A 36-year-old local man was arrested Sunday in central Evanston in connection with domestic battery.

The man’s wife, a 35-year-old Evanston resident, called police from their home in the 2000 block of Pratt Court, at about 1 a.m., Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The woman told police she and her husband had been arguing about their daughter, but the argument ended and she went to sleep.

She told officers that her husband woke her up and punched the right side of her face, Dugan said. Officers found the man in the alley behind the couple’s apartment, and he was taken into custody.

The man was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery, Dugan said. He is set to appear in court Nov. 8.

Chicago man charged with driving under the influence near downtown Evanston

A 42-year-old Chicago man was arrested Sunday near downtown Evanston in connection with driving under the influence.

Officers observed a vehicle traveling northbound on Ridge Avenue at high speeds and changing lanes without signaling, Dugan said. After officers put on their lights and sirens, the man indicated he would pull over, but instead kept driving.

Police stopped the car in in the 1300 block of Davis Street and noticed the driver had bloodshot eyes and the odor of alcohol on his breath, Dugan said. Officers also observed open alcohol containers in the rear of the vehicle, including a partially drunk six-pack of Bud Light Lime and an open bottle of Jose Cuervo tequila.

After failing a sobriety test, the man was charged with felony DUI for a third offense and felony driving with a revoked license, Dugan said. He was also charged with one misdemeanor count of DUI and given several citations for traffic offenses.

Twitter: @jakeholland97