Blotter: Man arrested in connection with February shots fired incident

Ben Pope, Summer Editor

An Evanston man was arrested Monday in connection with firing gunshots and striking two residences in February, according to a news release.

The 20-year-old man had been identified by detectives as the suspect for the February incident, which occurred in the 1600 block of Foster Street and did not cause any injuries, according to the release.

On Monday, Evanston detectives noticed the man in an alley near the 7200 block of North Hamilton Avenue in Chicago and eventually caught the man behind a car, according to the release. The detectives found a loaded handgun on the man.

The man was charged, according to the release, with aggravated discharge of a firearm at person in connection with the February incident and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in connection with Monday’s incident — both felonies. He was also charged with possession of a firearm without an identification card, a misdemeanor.

Man arrested in connection with domestic battery on Fourth of July

A Chicago man was arrested Tuesday night in connection with domestic battery at the intersection of Davis Street and Forest Place, near the Dawes Park festivities for the Fourth of July.

Witnesses told officers called to the scene that the 34-year-old man hit both his 33-year-old wife and 9-year-old son with an open hand while the wife and son were arguing with each other, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Neither the wife nor the son accepted medical attention, though the son had a scratch on his forehead, Dugan said.

The man was arrested in connection with misdemeanor domestic battery.

Twitter: @benpope111