New York Times bestseller Daniel Stashower to hold 2-day colloquium

Daniel Stashower.

Source: Deborah Borman

Daniel Stashower.

Taira Alabi, Reporter

A New York Times bestselling author is set to visit campus this week to teach students the elements of mystery writing.

Daniel Stashower (Weinberg ’82) will appear in a two-day colloquium Thursday and Friday. Stashower is holding the event with Pritzker School of Law Prof. Deborah Borman, who attended Northwestern from 1979 to 1981. Stashower met Borman when they were both freshmen at NU. The two decided to hold a colloquium for Stashower that will feature a lecture, workshop and a dramatic reading session.

Stashower is the author of bestselling book “The Hour of Peril,” which details the failed “Baltimore Plot” to assassinate President Abraham Lincoln on the eve of the Civil War.

Borman said she is looking forward to the colloquium.

“It’s super exciting to collaborate with someone who I was friends with when I was a freshman in college,” Borman said.

Stashower has written several fiction and nonfiction books, focusing particularly on nonfiction that breaks down the lives of famous mystery authors. Borman said the way he’s able to tell these stories is what makes his work so intriguing.

“He takes true stories and makes them read like fiction,” Borman said.

Borman said she has “a personal focus on creating community” of NU students that centers around writing. Borman and Stashower received help facilitating the on-campus event from The Alumnae of Northwestern University, which helps funds events like the colloquium for undergraduate student enrichment.

Borman and Stashower reached out to the organization to receive funding. Michele Bresler, public relations chair of The Alumnae of NU, said the opportunity to learn about mystery writing will be beneficial to students.

“The Alumnae is happy to fund projects that bring outside speakers to campus,” Bresler said. “Considering how popular CSI is on television, I think this is going to be a very enticing workshop.”

For Stashower, being a guest speaker is exciting for him, as the many speakers who came to campus when he was a student helped put him on his current career path.

“Northwestern is where it started for me.” Stashower said. “I had experiences at Northwestern that showed me where I wanted go.”

Borman said she has enjoyed working with Stashower to put on the event and hopes that students enjoy it. Even for those not interested in mystery, Borman said she believes the colloquium will present key skills.

“It’s important for students of every discipline who want to communicate something that’s compelling and interesting in every form,” Borman said. “(That is) a talent and skill that every student should have.”