Women’s Tennis: Chatt, Lipp prepare for NCAA Doubles Tournament

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Alex Chatt (left) and Maddie Lipp chat between points. The juniors will play in the NCAA Doubles Tournament this week.

Sophie Mann, Digital Development and Recruitment Editor

Women’s Tennis

Though Northwestern’s NCAA Tournament run came to an end over a week ago, two Wildcats will continue their season this week at the NCAA Doubles Championship in Athens, Georgia.

Juniors Alex Chatt and Maddie Lipp, the No. 15 doubles pair in the country, received an at-large bid to the tournament. The two competed in the tournament together last year and were the ITA Summer Nationals champions in both 2015 and 2016.

Despite losing both of their matches at the NCAA team tournament, the pair nonetheless had an exceptional season. They lead the Cats in wins with 21 total and accrued a 6-2 conference record. Though they succeeded as a pair, their individual accomplishments are also strong and could help their doubles play at nationals.

Chatt is 21-11 on the season, giving her the second-most wins on the team. She has a 9-1 record in conference play, giving her more Big Ten singles wins than any other player.

Lipp in particular has had an exceptional year. She received All-Big Ten distinction for the second consecutive season and was selected as Big Ten Athlete of the Week in April. In addition to being ranked alongside Chatt, she is ranked at No. 36 when partnered with sophomore Rheeya Doshi.

Lipp said that after a disappointing performance last year in which they lost their opening match, she is looking forward to a chance to show off what a year of experience has done for the pair.

“She and I both were disappointed losing first round (last year),” Lipp said. “Rather than just participating, we’re more than ever working toward some good outcomes. Winning two rounds, you’re an all-American, so that’s one of my goals whenever I’m playing singles and doubles.”

Twitter: @sophiemmann