ASG Senate confirms 9 vice presidents

McCormick+sophomore+Daniel+Knight+is+sworn+in+as+vice+president+for+services+during+Wednesday%E2%80%99s+Senate.+Knight+is+one+of+nine+vice+presidents+confirmed+Wednesday.+

Kate Salvidio/The Daily Northwestern

McCormick sophomore Daniel Knight is sworn in as vice president for services during Wednesday’s Senate. Knight is one of nine vice presidents confirmed Wednesday.

Jonah Dylan, Print Development and Recruitment Editor

Associated Student Government Senate confirmed the nominations of nine vice presidents Wednesday without a single vote against a nominee.

McCormick junior Vikas Kethineedi was confirmed as vice president for campus life, a position that was created after a code change passed last week.

“I feel like I definitely have the skills to hit the ground running for this committee,” he said before the vote. “Especially with the two-year live-on requirement coming, the administration is going to get a lot of things correct, but at the same time they’re going to get a lot of things wrong, so my goal is to minimize all those things they get wrong.”

McCormick sophomore Daniel Knight was confirmed as vice president for services, and Weinberg sophomore Emily Ash was confirmed as vice president for public relations. SESP freshman Austin Gardner was confirmed as vice president for accessibility and inclusion. Gardner is the only freshman on ASG’s executive board.

Weinberg sophomore Eshawn Sharma was confirmed as vice president for analytics, while SESP sophomore Michael Deneroff was confirmed as vice president for community relations. Weinberg junior Katie Mansur was confirmed as vice president for sustainability. Mansur previously served on the ASG sustainability committee as well as the executive board for the Northwestern Energy and Sustainability Consortium.

Although Weinberg junior Olivia Paulhac did not attend Senate, she was still confirmed as vice president for health and wellness. Speaking on her behalf, ASG President Nehaarika Mulukutla said Paulhac would be an excellent choice for the position.

“I want us to not just be in a culture that builds people up in ASG, but a campus that builds everybody up and creates and fosters this culture of wellness,” Mulukutla said before the vote. “I’ve never seen anybody more (than Paulhac) excited about that message, except for maybe (executive vice president Rosalie Gambrah).”

SESP sophomore Sky Patterson, a former Daily columnist, was confirmed as vice president for academics. Patterson, who had been the For Members Only senator this year, said her goal would be to put students first.

“I’m someone who cares deeply about improving the Northwestern experience for all students,” she said before the vote. “This is why I joined ASG. Even as I watched many of my friends stop showing up every Wednesday or just quit all together, I stuck with student government because I feel it’s where I fit. VP of academics just feels natural to me.”

There were a few abstentions, but not a single “nay” vote was cast for any of the nominees.

Nearly all ASG executive board positions are now held by students who will remain in their roles through Winter Quarter 2018. The position of chief of staff, currently held by Weinberg senior Isaac Rappoport, will transition sometime in the coming weeks.

Senate also passed a resolution introduced last week by Medill junior Isabel Schwartz. The resolution will be presented to Faculty Senate at its meeting next week, and urges the administration to create a wellness advisory board comprised of students, faculty and staff.

Rappoport introduced a code change allowing the chief of staff to attend A-status and B-status committee meetings. The code change will be voted on next week.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan