Northwestern students awarded Carnegie fellowships

Erica Snow, Assistant Campus Editor

A Northwestern student and alumna were named Carnegie junior fellows, and faculty members recently received awards for their work as well, the University announced Friday.

Weinberg senior Gustavo Berrizbeitia and Alli Divine (Weinberg ’16) were selected to work as research assistants to senior associates at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington, D.C. as James C. Gaither junior fellows. They were selected from a pool of nominees representing almost 400 colleges, according to a news release.

The one-year fellowship is awarded to about 15 students. NU alumna Elena Barham (Weinberg ’16) is in the current class of fellows, the release said.

Additionally, Communication Prof. Thomas Bradshaw earned a literary award, according to the news release. Bradshaw was named the 2017 Emerging American Playwright by the PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Award. The award comes with a $2,500 cash prize.

“For more than 90 years, PEN America has been working with the international PEN community to ensure people everywhere have the freedom to create literature, convey information and ideas, express their views and to make it possible for everyone to access the views, ideas and literatures of others,” the release said.

John Hudson, director of the geography program at NU, won the Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Rural and Agricultural Geography presented by the Rural Geography Specialty Group, according to the release.

Twitter: @ericasnoww