Blotter: Transmissions, transmission parts stolen from auto repair lot in west Evanston

Sophie Mann, Digital Development and Recruitment Editor

An Evanston man reported three automobile transmissions and two front housing accessories had been stolen in west Evanston sometime between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.

The transmissions and transmission parts were stolen from an auto repair business in the 2400 block of Dempster Street, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The parts were in an unsecured outdoor area that does not have a fence around it, Dugan said.

The man said he parks the vehicles in the back of the lot to prevent people from stealing the transmissions and transmission parts, but the burglars were still able to get to them, Dugan said. The parts are valued at $3,200.

Woman steals vehicle, presents false identification at car rental

Employees at Hertz Rental Car in west Evanston reported a customer failed to return a car that was due back early last month.

The woman rented a silver 2016 Nissan from the Hertz Rental Car in west Evanston on March 3, and it was due back March 6, Dugan said.

When the woman did not return the vehicle, Hertz — 1901 North Greenbay Rd. — attempted to contact the renter and discovered she had presented false identification, Dugan said.

The name given belongs to a 36-year-old woman in Florida, but the ID the woman used in Evanston was fake, Dugan said. He said the Florida woman has had issues with unknown people stealing her identity.

The car is worth more than $16,000 and has not yet been recovered, Dugan said.

Twitter: @sophiemmann