Blotter: Domestic battery call yields gun, drug arrests

Syd Stone, Assistant City Editor

Evanston police officers were dispatched to a home in south Evanston on Monday at 9:50 a.m. in response to a report of a possible battery in-progress.

According to a news release from the Evanston Police Department, the 19-year-old woman who was attacked was not injured.

The information was relayed to EPD’s Special Operations Group, which obtained and executed a search warrant later that day at the house in the 300 block of Custer Avenue. Police found a 9mm Smith and Wesson handgun and approximately 1.3 grams of crack cocaine in the apartment and arrested a man on domestic battery charges as well as his mother, the release said.

The 22-year-old man was charged with aggravated domestic assault, domestic battery, possession of a firearm without a Firearm Owner Identification Card and possession of ammunition without a FOID — all Class A misdemeanors.

The 44-year-old woman was charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance, a Class 4 felony.

Motorcyclist arrested

Officers responded to a report of a crash involving a motorcyclist Monday at 2:45 p.m. in northwest Evanston.

The motorcyclist struck a passenger vehicle as it pulled out of an alley in the 1800 block of Grey Avenue, EPD spokesman Perry Polinski said. He added that upon further investigation, the motorcyclist was found to be driving under a suspended drivers license.

Additional traffic citations given to the motorcyclist include operating a motor vehicle without insurance and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, Polinski said.

The passenger car sustained minor damage and there were no injuries. The motorcyclist’s court date has been set for May 17.

Twitter: @sydstone16