Men’s Basketball: Vic Law finds comfort on right side of 3-point line

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Vic Law holds the ball. The sophomore forward struggled with his shot for large parts of the conference season.

Khadrice Rollins, Reporter

All zone-level stats from Big Ten regular season games.

In his second year at the college level, sophomore forward Vic Law took on a larger role in Northwestern’s offense, but struggled to make shots from most places on the court.

Coming off a torn labrum, the 6-foot-7 wing opened the season strong, but saw a dip in his offensive production when the Big Ten season got underway.

Law shot 36 percent during conference play and was at his worst on straight-away jump shots. On shots near the top of key, Law went just 2-of-17, the worst of any player on the team from that location. Additionally, he shot 0-of-12 on straight-away 3s, making him the only player on the team to attempt a 3 from that area on the court without making one this conference season.

Graphic by Max Schuman/Daily Senior Staffer

It wasn’t much better inside the paint for Law, who connected on an underwhelming 48 percent on his tries from there. On non-layup attempts on the inside, Law was only 3-of-15 over the 18 regular season Big Ten games, with two of those makes coming in NU’s Dec. 30 loss to Michigan State.

Law saw his number take a downtick starting in the middle of the conference schedule, particularly during the absence of junior guard Scottie Lindsey. Law went 12-of-45 in the four games Lindsey missed with illness and was a rough 4-of-23 on 2-point attempts during that stretch.

From the outside, Law was significantly more reliable for the Cats, although almost all of his production came from the right side of the court.

On 3-pointers from the right wing and right corner, Law combined to shoot 19-of-38, giving him the most makes on the team from that side of the 3-point line and the highest percentage. Law shot 16.2 percent from deep excluding that side of the court, and he made only two 3s from the left side of the court in the first half of the Big Ten schedule.

The only other positive to find in Law’s shot chart is that he is shooting from all over the court, joining junior guard Bryant McIntosh as the only other player to have at least 10 shots from 10 of the 12 zones. The next closest player to Law and McIntosh in terms of shot diversity was Lindsey, who had at least 10 shots in only seven zones.

Twitter: @khadricerollins