Blotter: Police recover stolen handgun during traffic stop

David Fishman, Assistant City Editor

Police recovered a stolen handgun Monday during a traffic stop in south Evanston.

At about 1 a.m., patrol officers stopped a vehicle for an expired registration at the intersection of Howard Street and Western Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. While speaking to two occupants in the vehicle, the officers noticed a handgun on the driver’s side floor, Dugan said.

At that point, police took both passengers into custody and recovered a .45 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun stolen during a burglary last year, Dugan said. The driver — a 22-year-old Chicago resident — was found to be on parole and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, possession of firearm/ammunition without valid identification and two traffic violations.

Merchandise stolen from CVS

About $200 in merchandise was stolen Friday from the CVS Pharmacy in south Evanston.

At 2:15 p.m., officers were dispatched to CVS, 101 Asbury St., after its manager observed a 30 to 40-year-old man concealing products in a cross-carry bag, Dugan said. The man exited the store and fled westbound on foot without paying for the merchandise.

The manager was unable to determine exactly what had been stolen, but estimated the total value at $200, Dugan said.

Twitter: @davidpkfishman