Equality Illinois endorses Mark Tendam for Evanston mayor

Stavros Agorakis, Reporter

Equality Illinois, a statewide political action committee advocating for the rights of LGBTQ people, endorsed Ald. Mark Tendam (6th) for mayor of Evanston, the organization announced Friday.

The group said Tendam’s leadership positions in Evanston have allowed him to better advocate for marginalized groups and issues, including HIV/AIDS, spousal benefits for same-sex couples and an expansion of gender neutral restrooms, according to the statement.

“Like Equality Illinois, I believe that all people have a right to equal treatment and equal opportunity,” Tendam said in the statement. “We have achieved a lot but there is so much more that we need to do. I am humbled to have the trust and support of this phenomenal organization.”

Tendam is running against Gary Gaspard, businessman Steve Hagerty, Ald. Brian Miller (9th) and lawyer Jeff Smith (Weinberg ’77). His mayoral platform tackles issues such as affordable housing, reducing violence and increasing local employment opportunities, particularly among the homeless and those who struggle with mental illnesses or substance abuse.

The 6th Ward alderman has also received an endorsement from U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.).

The primary for mayor will be held Tuesday, and if one candidate receives 51 percent of the vote, he will win the election. Otherwise, the top two candidates will face a runoff on April 4 to decide the race.

Twitter: @stavrosagorakis