Record number of Northwestern faculty wins humanities fellowships

Yvonne Kim, Assistant Campus Editor

Four faculty members in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences won fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the most awards to a single institution by the NEH this year.

This year marks a record for the number of fellowships awarded to Northwestern in recent history, according to a news release. The NEH provided 86 fellowships — totaling more than $4 million in research grants — to fund the research of college and university teachers and independent scholars beginning in 2017.

The fellowship recipients are English and gender and sexuality studies Prof. Jeffrey Masten, political science Prof. Loubna El Amine, history Prof. Haydon Cherry and philosophy Prof. Rachel Zuckert.

“NEH provides support for projects across America that preserve our heritage, promote scholarly discoveries and make the best of America’s humanities ideas available to all Americans,” NEH

Chairman William D. Adams said in a news release. “We are proud to announce this latest group of grantees who, through their projects and research, will bring valuable lessons of history and culture to Americans.”

The NEH also awarded grants to 204 other humanities projects in categories such as grants for smaller institutions and digital projects for the public.

Twitter: @yvonnneekimm