Human Rights Campaign revokes endorsement of Sen. Mark Kirk

Nancy Stone/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

Sen. Mark Kirk answers questions from the Chicago Tribune editorial board during an appearance in October. Kirk lost the endorsement of the Human Rights Campaign after comments he made questioning Rep. Tammy Duckworth’s heritage.

Sam Krevlin, Reporter

The Human Rights Campaign has revoked its endorsement of U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk after he made a jab at opponent Rep. Tammy Duckworth’s heritage during Thursday night’s Senate debate.

This is the first time in the organization’s 36-year history it has revoked an endorsement.

HRC is a civil rights organization advocating for LGBTQ equality. HRC President Chad Griffin released a letter earlier today to members and supporters explaining the decision, saying “events this week have gone beyond the pale for our standards of leadership.”

Kirk questioned Duckworth’s family military history and heritage in Thursday night’s debate. Duckworth said her family has served the United States going back to the revolution.

“I forgot your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington,” Kirk said at the debate.

In the letter, Griffin wrote Kirk’s tweeted apology “failed to adequately address the real harm and magnitude of his words.”

“(Kirk’s) attempt to use Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth’s race as a means to undermine her family’s American heritage and patriotism is beyond reprehensible,” Griffin wrote.

HRC will now endorse Duckworth for the U.S. Senate. With 10 days until the election, the HRC said it will “contribute the maximum amount to her campaign.”

Twitter: @samkrevlin