ESPN sports journalist J.A. Adande to join Medill faculty in September

Fathma Rahman, Assistant Summer Editor

ESPN columnist and sideline reporter and Northwestern alumnus J.A. Adande will be joining the Medill School of Journalism faculty in September, according to a news release.

Adande will be a faculty member and director of Medill’s Sports Media program, a year-long specialization offered through the master’s program.

“J.A. brings tremendous experience, talent and loyalty to Medill,” said Bradley J. Hamm, dean of Medill, in the news release. “I’ve been impressed with his dedication to students and his ideas and drive to make this program the best of its kind in the world.”

Adande worked at the Los Angeles Times for 10 years before joining ESPN.com as a columnist in 2007 covering the NBA . He previously served as an adjunct professor at the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School of Journalism.

He graduated from Medill in 1992 with an undergraduate degree in journalism. While at NU, Adande served as the sports editor for The Daily.

“Enrolling at Medill was the best decision of my life and I’m thrilled to return to the launch pad for my career, this time to help educate the sports journalists of tomorrow,” Adande said in the news release. “Dean Hamm has a vision and drive to make Medill the best journalism school in all fields and I’m excited and ready to do my part to bring that to fruition.”

Twitter: @fathmarahman