Evanston to unveil Samuel Johnson Place: A look at the man behind the street

Samuel Johnson Jr., left, sits in his barbershop, located at 1905 Church St. The block of Church Street on which the barbershop sits will be named Samuel Johnson Place, after City Council approved the decision by unanimous vote on June 13.

Elliot Wailoo/The Daily Northwestern

Elliot Wailoo

Samuel Johnson III is shaving a customer’s head and watching Chicago news when his father, Samuel Johnson Jr., bursts into the Church Street Barber Shop. Pausing to see who’s inside, he launches into a series of handshakes and greetings, dodging between old-fashioned red barber chairs like he owns the place.

He does.

Johnson Jr. and his barbershop have been a staple of Evanston’s black community for more than 50 years. His work to support and bring the black community together will be recognized this month, when the block of Church Street where the barbershop sits will be named Samuel Johnson Place.

The decision, approved by a unanimous vote by City Council on June 13, will rename the block from Brown Avenue to Dodge Avenue, a segment that borders Evanston Township High School.

Ald. Peter Braithwaite (2nd), who met Johnson Jr. before his appointment to City Council in 2011, said the distinction is well-deserved.

“It’s so important to do these recognitions for our younger generation to see,” he said. “It’s one of the best honors that we can give someone who has contributed so much to the city of Evanston.”

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th), whose ward includes the Church Street Barber Shop, celebrated Johnson’s commitment to the Evanston black community, saying that he has helped to keep many kids off the street.

“He’s been a mentor to kids from the high school for years,” Holmes said. “He’s won numerous awards from different organizations because of his service.”

Mentorship in the community is why Johnson Jr. is being recognized by the city, but his mentorship within his shop is why his business has been able to survive for so long.

Johnson Jr. has provided experience to barbers trying to find success — including his son. By opening positions in his shop to young barbers trying to get more experience, Johnson Jr. has ensured the longevity of his shop.

“My dad has always been my mentor,” Johnson III said. “He’s my hero.”

Not all barbers who learned under Johnson Jr. found him early in life though. Frederick Smith met Johnson Jr. July 2 after graduating from barber college and cosmetics college. He began working in the barber shop July 6.

“Sam gave me the opportunity to come here and do exactly what I was taught to do,” Smith said. “He has the experience of a barber who’s been around. He can teach me more about how to get a clientele and get my own business. He’s a role model.”

Because he has been cutting hair on the same corner for so long, Johnson Jr. has developed a close relationship with “the kids”: Evanston residents he has known since their childhood. Alvin Hughes, 66, is one of these “kids.” He sits in the shop socializing with the Johnsons, Smith and other barbers.

“Sam has been cutting my hair for 55 years now,” Hughes said.

Church Street Barber Shop has also had its fair share of celebrity customers, although Johnson Jr. prefers long-term patrons who care about staying in the community.

Amidst a mosaic of memorabilia, Johnson Jr. points out a photo of the 1990-1991 Chicago Bulls NBA Championship team with star Michael Jordan.

“All the Bulls used to come in here. I don’t like them,” he said. “Soon as they get out of the league, they’re gone. Now Michael and them are gone, but these kids are still here. I love the kids.”

Johnson Jr.’s enthusiasm for creating a tight-knit community is reflected in Johnson III, who has taken on the brunt of the work of running the operation.

While Johnson Jr. cuts some customers’ hair, he spends a lot of time greeting and socializing with customers while Johnson III has taken over the head barber position.

“Being in the black community, helping out the people, and making them feel good and look good are important to me,” Johnson III said. “If you’re happy with your haircut, I’m happy.”

As far as Johnson Jr. is concerned, his role in the community starts with everyday positive interactions — like shaking hands with all customers who walk in the door and even random passersby.

“Shaking hands means you love a person,” Johnson Jr. said. “I’ve been shaking people’s hands for as long as I’ve been a barber.”

Elliot Wailoo is a rising high school senior participating this summer in the Medill-Northwestern Journalism Institute.