Police Blotter: Four Evanston residents arrested during mob fight outside La Macchina Cafe

Juliet Freudman, Reporter

A large fight broke out early Sunday morning at La Macchina Cafe, 1620 Orrington Ave., leading to the arrest of four Evanston residents.

Evanston police arrived outside the restaurant at 2 a.m. to break up a mob of people fighting in the street, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Many of them were intoxicated and were throwing tables and chairs at each other in the street, he said. Because some individuals did not comply when officers tried to stop the fight, the officers had to use a taser to detain at least three individuals.

Three men, aged 19, 20 and 25 years old, were arrested and charged with a mob action misdemeanor. They are expected to appear at Skokie Courthouse on June 13.

A fourth man, 31 years old, was arrested and charged under a city ordinance of disobedience to police. He is expected to appear at Skokie Courthouse on June 27.

After the fight broke up, an ambulance arrived to treat those who were injured, and no one was transported to the hospital, Dugan said.

Evanston mail carrier reports aggravated assault

An Evanston mail carrier reported an aggravated assault Friday after a man pointed a gun at her.

The 22-year-old woman observed two men arguing about a monetary dispute in the 2000 block of Brown Avenue at noon Friday, Dugan said. She reported that when one of the men left the area, the other man — around 24 years old, of thin build and with short hair — directed a gun at her. He told her to get back in her mail truck and pretend that she had not seen or heard anything, Dugan said.

The woman returned to the post office where she notified her supervisor and contacted Evanston police.

Twitter: @girlwhojumped