Police Blotter: Gang member arrested in connection with handgun possession

Evelyn Metric, Reporter

A 19-year-old known gang member from Skokie was arrested in south Evanston on Monday evening, police said.

At about 7 p.m., officers in the 700 block of Howard Street recognized the man from previous encounters and saw that he had a large, bulky item underneath his shirt and near his waistband, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. The man fled the area and threw a handgun, which officers later retrieved and found to be loaded with 17 rounds of ammunition, Dugan said.

The man also had under 2.5 grams of marijuana as well as a pipe on him.

The man was charged with two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by felon, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a street gang member, one count of defacing identification marks of a firearm and two counts of no valid firearm owner’s identification card. He was also charged with one count of unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia, one count of unlawful possession of cannabis and one count of disobedience to police, Dugan said.

Man arrested after burglarizing house

A 24-year-old man was arrested after breaking into a house in south Evanston.

The homeowner, a 62-year-old Evanston female, called police after she returned to her house on Mulford Street at about 6 p.m. on Monday and found an unknown man in her house, Dugan said. The man fled from her house carrying the homeowner’s suitcase and officers found him near the CTA tracks between Mulford Street and Brummel Street.

The woman positively identified the man and her suitcase was recovered near her house, Dugan said. The suitcase contained two laptops, a tablet, the woman’s purse, a video camera and a jar full of coins. Police also found that the man possessed Vicodin and Hydrocodone pills.

He was charged with one count of residential burglary, one count of unlawful possession of a controlled substance, one count of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespass to real property, Dugan said.

Twitter: @EvelynMetric