Letter to the Editor: Response to ‘More compassion needed in abortion debate’

In his compelling article “More compassion needed in abortion debate,” Jose Trejos articulates several spot-on frustrations in the abortion debate. At times, the debate seems to unfairly place blame on women. In addition, it can be difficult to reconcile feminism and pro-life beliefs. Finally, both the pro-life and the pro-choice communities care about and seek to help women and families, even if the ways in which they do so may appear irreconcilable.

As a pro-life group that enthusiastically identifies as feminist, we agree that Donald Trump’s comments were grossly inconsiderate and uncompassionate. According to the Guttmacher Institute, one in four women will have an abortion by age 30, and two of the biggest reasons that will motivate that decision — especially for college-aged women — is the lack of resources and insufficient support from loved ones. It is precisely this lack of compassion that makes a pregnant woman feel that their only option is to end the life of their unborn child, and this lack of compassion is what Northwestern Students for Life (NSFL) seeks to abolish as a group that raises awareness and pushes for resources for pregnant and parenting students.

While NSFL doesn’t condone abortion and believes that it is harmful for women, condemning the women who have had an abortion only worsens the situation. We need to reach out to post-abortive women with empathy and support, not to shame and punish them. We need to reshape the societal and political environment so that women do not have to feel that abortion is their only option. We also need to contest the idea that abortion is a fundamentally feminist option and is crucial for women’s equality in society. A society that promotes the idea that a woman must choose between being a mother or having a career or education in order to be equal economically and culturally is not a feminist society. When our freedom as women comes at the cost of innocent lives, it is merely oppression redistributed. On the other hand, a society that will promote and protect the dignity of all human beings, regardless of color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, ability or level of development is a society that is both just and feminist.

NSFL is committed to trying to build a culture that loves all life, welcomes new life and leads those that are suffering toward healing and hope. It is why we are celebrating “Lovin’ Life” Month in May — in order to create more dialogue about the issue of abortion, to commemorate what makes life so special and to affirm that life is worth living. We hope that it will be a month full of all the joy and hope that life has to offer, and the love and respect that all people deserve as members of the human family.

-Northwestern Students for Life (NSFL)
Gabby Carsello, President, Communication ‘16
Emiliano Vera, Vice President, SESP ‘16
Linda Cai, Treasurer, Weinberg ‘19
Noah Repel, Service Chair, Weinberg ‘17
Victoria Miechowicki, Secretary, Weinberg ‘19
Maria Aiura, Vice President/Secretary Emeritus, Communication ‘16
Tito Fernandez, Publicity Ambassador, McCormick ‘17
Basia Gawin, Treasurer Emeritus, Weinberg ‘17
Summor Elliott, Communication ‘19
Jean-Baptiste Caridroit, Weinberg ‘17