Man found guilty in 1992 murder of Evanston woman

Rishika Dugyala, Assistant City Editor

A man was found guilty Thursday for the first-degree murder of an Evanston woman in 1992.

On April 23, 1992, police discovered the body of 25-year-old Deeondra Dawson in her apartment in the 600 block of Sherman Avenue. Her body had been stabbed at least 34 times and left behind by Jimmie Dunlap, now 45.

Dawson suffered multiple wounds, including a collapsed lung, brain hemorrhages and a human bite mark on her cheek, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office told The Daily in 2013. Her then 4-year-old son was discovered in the apartment unharmed.

Officers were unable to identify an offender until May 2013, when Evanston detectives working on the case were able to connect Dunlap to the murder after resubmitting evidence from the scene for advanced DNA analysis, according to a news release.

The Chicago man was then charged with one count of first-degree murder later that May. Now, after being found guilty of the charge, Dunlap will be sentenced on May 24.

More advanced technology and a larger DNA database helped confirm Dunlap was the source of the DNA evidence found in numerous locations at the crime scene, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan told The Daily. It was also discovered that Dunlap and Dawson were “acquaintances,” Dugan said.

“Numerous family members of the victim, including her mother and son were present for the trial,” Dugan said in the news release. “The Evanston Police Department is thankful to bring some peace, closure and justice to the family and friends of Deondre (sic) Dawson.”

Juliet Freudman contributed reporting.

Twitter: @rdugyala822