Ettinger: In extracurricular participation, Northwestern is not “need-blind”

Cate Ettinger, Columnist

It’s one of the first things you are asked about when you meet somebody new on campus.  After being questioned about your major, you are essentially guaranteed to be asked, “What are you involved with on campus?” At a rigorous, competitive institution such as Northwestern, this isn’t too surprising.

NU advertises its myriad of extracurricular opportunities proudly on its website, which proclaims, “More than 450 student clubs. Nineteen varsity sports. Hundreds of events,” in the characteristic purple. Of course it is wonderful that the University has such a wide array of student groups to offer, but this leads to a competitive environment where everyone wants to be doing more. And while it is generally seen as up to each student how involved they want be on campus, the truth is that students coming from lower socioeconomic backgrounds are at a severe disadvantage.

Time is money, and for those who have to work their way through college, this phrase takes on a whole new meaning. Many students coming from families unable to pay NU’s exorbitant tuition receive eligibility for a work-study job through their financial aid packages.  Additionally, many other students who do not receive aid are forced to find non-work study jobs, where choices are often more limited. But it doesn’t matter the job type; having a job in college means a lot less time to study, do research, sleep, exercise and participate in other extracurriculars. Trying to balance a job with the academic demands of NU is precarious even without the added stress of involvement in student groups.

Although I did not receive work-study as part of my aid package, it still was not financially feasible for me to go through college without working. I work at least twice a week at Phonathon and find it difficult to strike a balance between work and student group life.

Of course, it is not the fault of the clubs and student groups on campus that so many students have to work long hours to be able to afford NU — that’s a question for the administration — but it is important to recognize students who may not appear to be “involved” on campus are working just as hard as everyone else. There is a pervasive expectation you will list off 10 clubs or sports you participate in when asked about your involvement, but the truth is that working a job and being a full time student is just as challenging and admirable.

Ironically, at NU, it seems you often have to be in clubs in order to get into clubs. That interviews for clubs seem to center around a student’s current involvement on campus is clearly a silly paradox. Students who come from financially challenged backgrounds and have to supplement their aid packages with income they work hours for each and every week are at a clear disadvantage. Working may not be enough “involvement” to warrant acceptance into a club, but students simply do not have the time to join a plethora of other students groups as well.  Therefore, it is harder for them to get into any groups they do have the time for.

Even if a student who comes from a less affluent background is accepted into a club they are interested in, the meetings for this group may conflict with their work schedule.  And, unfortunately, work must always be the priority of socioeconomically disadvantaged students.

Clubs on campus are supposed to provide numerous mediums for student involvement.  However, because they are so competitive and time-consuming, students who come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and have to work their way through college often do not have the opportunity to participate. They are too often inherently excluded from this aspect of campus life.

Cate Ettinger is a Weinberg freshman. She can be contacted at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].

The views expressed in this piece do not necessarily reflect the views of all staff members of The Daily Northwestern.