Brains increasingly matter more than beauty in a partner, Northwestern psychologist finds

Madeline Fox, Campus Editor

Men increasingly prefer brains to beauty in long-term romantic partners, according to a recent study co-led by a Northwestern professor.

Psychologists from NU and the University of Innsbruck in Austria found men today valued their partner’s appearance less than their intellectual capability in a report published January in the European Review of Social Psychology.

“Our review across several disciplines suggest that mating preferences of men as well as women have responded with unsuspected speed to progress toward gender equality,” said Marcel Zentner, professor of psychology at the University of Innsbruck, in a news release.

The psychologists found men and women who anticipated being the family breadwinner preferred their partner have domestic skills, but those who envisioned being the stay-at-home parent preferred their partner be older and more established in a career.

“In today’s world, where both partners can (and often must) work to achieve a decent lifestyle, most men want an educated, intelligent wife who can earn a good wage,” said psychology Prof. Alice Eagly in the release. “In turn, men can worry somewhat less about producing wealth but may benefit from brushing up their looks and domestic skills.”

Twitter: @maddycfox