Angell: It’s important to promote meaningful debate on campus

Megan Angell, Columnist

It was one of those quintessential college conversations — a late-night discussion that blended politics, philosophy and current events. Two of us were debating the significance of various feminist issues. We had not raised our voices, nor was our conversation in any way heated when one of the older members of our residential college asked us, “Are you OK talking about this?” We both nodded in assent. “I just wanted to make sure that you’re both OK, that you’re not offended or threatened or anything.” While I have no doubt that he meant well, I couldn’t help but think about how his comment was indicative of attitudes toward discussion and debate on campus.

Meaningful dialogue on campus, both formal and informal, is often obscured by a fear of offending others and by others’ reactions to such opinions. Of course, we all have the responsibility to articulate our views professionally and with compassion. Our arguments should be backed by logic and facts, and swearing and slurs have no place in legitimate discussion. However, we cannot be afraid of making controversial statements just because others might be upset by them.

At some point, we have all written, said or thought that we hope to “learn from others’ perspectives in college.” Are we actually interested in hearing other perspectives, or do we only want to do so when we agree with and are not offended by what others have to say?

I am continually surprised by others’ comments that it is always possible to “voice your opinions without offending others.” As journalists, the philosophy that “every opinion will offend someone” is ingrained into our minds from day one. With that perspective, we must recognize that another’s point of view cannot lose legitimacy simply because we are disturbed by it. If someone’s opinions are offensive to you, you have every right to say so, but your reaction should lead to more dialogue, not to ending of discussion and the shaming of the “offending” party.

A campus climate more concerned about preventing people from feeling offended than about promoting legitimate discussion and debate is not only harmful to students, but also to the intellectual life of the university. College was designed to foster the exchange of ideas both inside and outside of class. And because the college campuses have played a key role in sparking important movements, from the Vietnam War protests to the civil rights movement, the attitudes toward open discussion and free speech on college campuses are important to our country as a whole.

The issues of free speech and safe spaces on college campuses have attracted national attention in recent weeks. Celebrations took a dark turn at the University of Missouri when the Concerned Student 1950 student group celebrated the success of its protests against racial injustice. However, students and faculty then threatened journalists trying to report on the events in public spaces.

Their threats became physical as protesters shoved at the reporter and one professor shouted, “Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here? I need some muscle over here.” On social media, the group Concerned Student 1950 commented that ”there were media personnel who were very hostile toward us when we asked to have certain spaces respected.”

While it’s important to acknowledge that some reporting can be seen as intrusive and unprofessional, we must remind ourselves that journalists also have the right to be in public spaces. That said, journalists should be respectful when reporting on marginalized communities.

The philosopher Voltaire’s followers summarized his beliefs in this way: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” While Voltaire was referring to the legality of such speech, we must also examine the social barriers we have erected that, in effect, restrict both free speech and intellectual growth.

Megan Angell is a Weinberg freshman. She can be reached at[email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this column, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected].

The views expressed in this piece do not necessarily reflect the views of all staff members of The Daily Northwestern.