Northwestern alumni Julia Louis-Dreyfus, George R.R. Martin win big at Emmys

Julia+Louis-Dreyfus+steps+on+to+the+stage+at+the+67th+Primetime+Emmy+Awards+after+winning+Outstanding+Lead+Actress+in+a+Comedy+Series.+Louis-Dreyfus+%28Communication+%E2%80%9883%29+was+among+several+other+alums+who+received+awards+and%2For+nominations+during+the+show+Sunday+night.+

Source: Robert Gauthier/The Los Angeles Times

Julia Louis-Dreyfus steps on to the stage at the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards after winning Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. Louis-Dreyfus (Communication ‘83) was among several other alums who received awards and/or nominations during the show Sunday night.

Alice Yin, Campus Editor

Northwestern alumni triumphed at the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards Sunday night, highlighted by wins for George R.R. Martin’s “Game of Thrones” series and Julia Louis-Dreyfus for her role in “Veep.”

“Game of Thrones” shattered records, taking home a total of 12 awards — the most ever received in a single year. Martin (Medill ‘70, ‘71) joined the rest of the cast Sunday night to receive the show’s first win for the outstanding drama series, passing over shows “Mad Men,” “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black.” “Game of Thrones” also snagged Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series and Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series. Martin, who will be visiting NU this quarter, is also the co-executive producer and has written 60 of the HBO show’s episodes from 2011-2016.

In total, the show had 24 nominations this year, and with 26 total Emmy awards after Sunday night, the medieval fantasy series is tied with “The West Wing” and “Hill Street Blues” for the most wins of any drama show.

Hosted by actor Andy Samberg, the awards show in Los Angeles also led to wins for other notable alumni.

Louis-Dreyfus (Communication ‘83) once again accepted her award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. The “Veep” actress beat out Lisa Kudrow, Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer to take home her sixth Emmy award. The actress also took a quick jab at Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during her acceptance speech.

“I think it would be appropriate at this moment to quote our American politics show. ‘What a great honor it must be for you to honor me tonight.’ No, wait, no, I’m so sorry, Donald Trump said that,” Louis-Dreyfus said.

Other nominees included Stephen Colbert (Communication ‘86), who ended the final season of his satirical pundit show, “The Colbert Report,” last December. The comedy show received 41 nominations and won six throughout its run, although Sunday night “The Daily Show” took home the award for its final year with host Jon Stewart.

Seth Meyers (Communication ‘96) received two nominations for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special, one for the 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards. Other nominees included actor Denis O’Hare (Communication ‘84) for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie in “American Horror Story: Freak Show,” actor Billy Eichner (Communication ‘00) for Outstanding Short-Format Live-Action Entertainment Program in “Billy on the Street with First Lady Michelle Obama,” and Jill Leiderman (Communication ‘93) — executive producer of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” — for Outstanding Variety Talk Series.

Twitter: @alice__yin