Police Blotter: Woman shot near south Evanston home

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

An 18-year-old woman was shot Friday evening while walking near her home in south Evanston, suffering a non-fatal wound to her chest.

The Evanston resident told police she heard two gunshots near Howard Street and Custer Avenue between 5:15 and 5:45 p.m, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. After realizing she was bleeding from her chest, the woman walked to St. Francis Hospital for treatment. Doctors removed a bullet fragment from the left side of her chest without surgery.

Police found no new information after speaking with store owners and other people at the scene as well as reviewing security camera footage, Dugan said. The woman has since become uncooperative with police, refusing to answer further questions, he added.

Two arrested for altercations at a car wash

A man and a woman were arrested Sunday morning when an argument with the manager of a south Evanston car wash turned physical.

The 21-year-old man — a former employee of Terry Towel Hand Car Wash at 1951 Dempster St. — approached the manager asking for $20 worth of pay he said he never received, Dugan said. After the 23-year-old manager directed him to the owner of the store, the man left and returned 30 minutes later with three other men and one woman, he said.

The Evanston resident continued demanding his payment, eventually removing his shirt and approaching the manager aggressively, Dugan said. The 18-year-old woman, a Skokie resident, began scratching and punching the manager, he said. The man then picked up a hammer and raised it as if he would hit the manager before another employee of the car wash restrained him.

The man was charged with aggravated assault and the woman was charged with battery, both misdemeanors, Dugan said.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj