Local landscaping program will encourage eco-friendly yard practices

Tori Latham, City Editor

Evanston is supporting a local program that will help community members make their yards more eco-friendly and manage stormwater better, the city announced Monday.

The city is providing administrative support to the Livable Landscapes program, which was created by the Evanston Environmental Association and by Nature’s Perspective Landscaping, an Evanston based landscaping design, installation and maintenance firm. The initiative is meant to aid residents in creating water-absorbing and habitat-friendly landscaping, Patrick Deignan, the city’s community engagement specialist, said in an email to Evanston media.

Those who participate in the program can choose from a list of plants that work well in flood-prone areas and landscape design plans for rain garden installations, Deignan said in the email. A minimum purchase of $50 is required to join the program, he added.

Rain gardens are gardens that work with existing location conditions to take advantage of rainfall and stormwater runoff, according to a document from the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association. Benefits of installing a rain garden include water conservation, improved drinking water and reduced maintenance costs once created, according to the ILCA.

To provide locals with more information on the program, two workshops will be held at the Evanston Ecology Center, 2024 McCormick Blvd. Organizers will discuss factors to consider when designing a rain garden, such as determining the appropriate size for a garden and how to maintain long-term care. The workshops will be held May 21 and June 2.

Twitter: @latham_tori