Northwestern’s Writing Program renamed after large gift

Mariana Alfaro, Assistant Campus Editor

Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences’ Writing Program will be renamed the Bobbie and Stanton Cook Family Writing Program following a “significant gift” to the program made by the Cook family.

With the gift, the program will be able to offer more programming for upperclassmen and develop new partnerships to bolster programming for first-year students. It will also be able to expand beyond Weinberg to other disciplines at Northwestern to create more writing-related programs.

Other goals for the gift include expanding The Writing Place, NU’s center for peer writing consultation, and advancing technological offerings for the University’s writing program.

“We believe that clear writing and thinking are central to success in every academic discipline,” said the Writing Program’s director Robert Gundlach in a news release. “We also believe that writing is a complex activity worthy of study in itself.”

The Bobbie and Stanton Cook Family Foundation was looking to invest in a core program at NU.

”After spending so much of my life working at a great Chicago newspaper and running a national multimedia company,” said Stanton Cook, NU trustee and retired chairman of the Tribune Company, in the release, “the idea of contributing meaningfully to such an outstanding writing program to help train the next generation of writers was very important to me.”

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro