Northwestern launches new online fundraising platform for student groups

Tyler Pager, Campus Editor

Northwestern has developed a new online tool to help student groups fundraise.

In partnership with ScaleFunder, a crowdfunding platform for universities and nonprofits, NU launched Catalyzer to allow people to donate tax-deductible gifts. All of the money donated through Catalyzer will go directly to student-led projects and count toward NU’s $3.75 billion “We Will” campaign.

“Catalyzer gives student leaders a powerful new social media tool for raising awareness about and funds for projects, events and organizations for which they may share a common passion with other members of the Northwestern community,” said Bob McQuinn, vice president for alumni relations and development in a news release.

Thus far, four student groups have launched projects on the site.

NU Threads, a shared formal wear closet, was created to help students acquire formal clothing for events such as job interviews and date functions. The group, which lends the clothes for free, is looking to raise $5,000 to purchase more formal wear clothing.

The Crew team set an initial goal of $15,000 to buy new boats but has since reached that mark. They have increased their goal to $25,000 to buy the necessary accessories for the boats.

The Waa-Mu Show, the largest student-written musical in the country, wants to raise $10,000 to help support next year’s production. In its 84th year, this year’s show is titled, “Gold,” and is inspired by the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. The show’s organizers want to build up reserves for next year’s 85th production.

Additionally, the International Student Association aims to raise $4,000 to support students who will travel to Chincha, Peru, to help rebuild schools, community centers and homes. The city suffered a magnitude 7.8 earthquake in 2007, and the group has been sending students to Peru since 2011.

Twitter: @tylerpager