Men’s intramural soccer canceled this quarter

Nathan Richards/Daily Senior Staffer

The synthetic turf on the field hockey field is being replaced during Spring Quarter. This has forced the Department of Athletics and Recreation to reduce the number of intramural teams that can register.

Rita Oceguera, Reporter

Male students looking to play intramural soccer this spring will have fewer options, with only coed leagues being offered.

The soccer program was downsized for Spring Quarter while the field hockey’s synthetic turf is replaced, said Dan Bulfin, Northwestern’s director of recreational sports. In the past, games were split between the field hockey and soccer fields. However, because of the construction — which will start in a few days — the intramural program needs to share space with varsity sports.

“The end project is going to be a better field for everyone and a safer surface,” he said. “Unfortunately, I regret there’s going to be some inconvenience in the short term.”

The intramural white league, which is for less competitive male players, and the purple league, which is more competitive, will not be open for registration. Male students wishing to play intramural soccer will be able to sign up for only corec teams — the coed league.

In addition to the elimination of the all-male teams, intramural soccer will undergo some other changes. The games will be shortened from one hour to 35 minutes each, according to NU’s intramural website.

Weinberg sophomore Marissa Hastings, who plans to participate with Shepard Residential College in intramural soccer said the shorter game lengths will be advantageous to students who are busy with schoolwork and just looking for a fun way to get some exercise.

Weinberg sophomore Steven Tyler played in the white league last year and said he was upset when he heard the league was not happening this year. Tyler said his team was hoping to win the championship after it almost took first place last spring.

However, Tyler said he will continue to play soccer with his corec team, Les Digerables, which won the championship last year.

“Soccer was my favorite intramural sport last year,” Tyler said. “It’s one of the more competitive sports. A lot of people play soccer.”

Twitter: @RitaOceguera