Historic snowfall prompts cleanups, citations

Sean Su/Daily Senior Staffer

Evanston declared a snow emergency for both Monday and Tuesday after 20 inches of snow fell Sunday night. All public schools in Evanston closed Monday, but Northwestern remained open.

Julia Jacobs, Assistant City Editor

The snow emergency declared by Evanston for Monday and Tuesday may be extended to assist cleanups, according to James Maiworm, the city’s assistant director of public works operations and maintenance.

The 20-inch snowfall that hit the city on Sunday night was the fifth largest in Chicago history, according to media reports.

The declared snow emergency resulted in parking restrictions on the even-numbered side of the street on even dates and odd-numbered side of the street on odd dates, according to the city’s website.

Sunday night, the Evanston Police Department reported 76 vehicles towed, 81 citations issued and two stolen vehicles recovered reported from the Chicago Police Department, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said in an email to local media.

Main and secondary roads were plowed early Monday morning while the rest of the day was focused on cleaning residential streets, Maiworm said in an email to local media. Business district cleanups will continue for the rest of the week.

The city added open gym hours to three community centers for Monday, community engagement manager Martha Logan said in an email to local media. Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center and the Robert Crown Community Center also offered programming for current participants in the preschool or after-school programs offered at the centers.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj