Police Blotter: Jan. 21

Hal Jin, Reporter

Resident threatened with gun, robbed

An 18-year-old Evanston resident was robbed of his cellphone and wallet Sunday morning.

Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said two males approached the resident at 8 a.m. near the intersection of Emerson Street and Leland Avenue. The suspects said they had a gun and took the Evanston resident’s Verizon cellphone and wallet containing $25.

The two men didn’t display a gun during the encounter, Dugan said.

None of the subjects involved in the encounter appear to be Northwestern students, Dugan added.

Man caught during attempted burglary

Evanston police arrested an Evanston resident Tuesday in connection with burglary to a vehicle.

The man was observed checking the handles of car doors by a caller at about 12:15 a.m. in the area of Crain Street and Elmwood Avenue. Police responded within two minutes, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

When officers arrived, they observed a vehicle with its driver’s side door open and a man inside going through the vehicle’s contents, Dugan said in a news release.

After seeing the officers, the man attempted to flee but was apprehended after about half a block. He later admitted to trying to remove property from the vehicle, police said.

Nothing was taken from the vehicle and there were no signs of forced entry to the car door, Dugan said. The car was likely unlocked, Dugan said.

The man was brought to a Skokie court after his arrest and will appear in court in Skokie in the coming weeks. He is charged with burglary to vehicle, a class 2 felony.

Although the man’s record indicates he was once convicted for burglary, police were unable to elaborate further.

Twitter: @apricityhal