Northwestern forms audiology center offering clinical services

Olivia Exstrum, Campus Editor

Northwestern will combine its Audiology and Speech, Language, and Learning Clinics to form a new center opening Wednesday.

The non-profit Center for Audiology, Speech, Language, and Learning will offer evaluation and treatment for children and adults, as well as research and training for graduate students studying the topic, the University announced Monday.

“The new facility bridges science and service under one roof, offering one of the area’s top resources for clinical services,” Denise Boggs Eisenhauer, director of the Speech-Language Services at the Center for Audiology, Speech, Language, and Learning, said in a news release.

The center will include “state-of-the-art” audiology and voice lab equipment, a family observation room and more patient rooms. Free parking will also be offered to visitors.

One of few such facilities in the country, the center will include an “Audio Environment Simulation Room,” which will allow patients to test hearing devices. Patients will be able to use the devices against a variety of background noises and sounds found in a real-world environment to personalize them to fit their individual needs. Clients at the center will also have the opportunity to customize the sounds they hear to practice communicating while using the hearing devices.

In addition to creating the center, NU is known as the “birthplace of audiology,” and has been a leading institution in the treatment of language and learning issues.

“The new center offers opportunity for increased collaboration across disciplines and integrates innovation and science to form the foundation of our clinical care,” said Diane Novak, manager of Audiology Services, in a news release.

Twitter: @olivesocean