Northwestern’s Evanston liaison Lucile Krasnow to retire

Olivia Exstrum, Campus Editor

After 15 years at Northwestern, Lucile Krasnow, who served as a liaison between the University and Evanston, will retire in Spring 2015, the school announced Monday.

“I am passionate about Evanston, and I’m devoted to the University,” Krasnow said in a news release, “and (I’m) so proud of what we have accomplished together to bring the two closer over the years. … I’m embedded in this community.”

Krasnow, who helped orchestrate joint initiatives between NU and Evanston, was the school’s first liaison with the city. The University will begin searching for Krasnow’s successor soon, executive Vice President Nim Chinniah said.

“Lucile has seen the University and community through significant changes,” Chinniah said in the release. “She has worked tirelessly to build a sense of partnership and collaboration.”

During her tenure, Krasnow created a partnership office with Evanston Township High School for which NU added a full-time position at the high school in 2012 focusing on increasing collaboration on science, technology, engineering and math issues at the high school, the University said. The position is part of University President Morton Schapiro’s Good Neighbor, Great University scholarship program for students who graduate from high school in Evanston or Chicago.

Krasnow also managed a study about NU’s economic impact on Evanston and started University partnerships with community agencies to offer childcare for the children of NU faculty, staff and students.

In addition, Krasnow was involved in the creation of Campus Kitchens, which delivers leftover food from residential hall cafeterias to Evanston residents in need, and Big Bite Night, an annual event in which over 2,000 students sample food from Evanston restaurants. Krasnow also began the Kits and Cats program, which twice a year allows 100 local high school students to visit NU.

Krasnow began working at the University in November 1999. She has lived in Evanston for 36 years and served as president of the Evanston Chamber of Commerce for two years.

“I am confident that the future will bring even more opportunities for a productive relationship and collaboration between Evanston and this world-class University,” she said in the release. “I have been honored to bring the community and Northwestern together in a variety of ways.”

Twitter: @olivesocean