A&O, SEED announce Philfest artists

Todd+Kessler%0A

Source: Facebook

Todd Kessler

Tyler Pager, Assistant Campus Editor

Updated, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday:

The Deadly Gentleman will headline Philfest on Saturday, A&O Productions and SEED announcedWednesday.

The Boston-based quintet features an acoustic guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin and double bass, adding an unconventional spin to traditional bluegrass music. The group will follow Sunnyside Up and Todd Kessler, with Sunnyside Up’s performance beginning at 1 p.m.

Original story:

Sunnyside Up and Todd Kessler will be among the artists featured at Saturday’s Philfest. The headliner has yet to be announced.

Philfest is an annual collaboration between A&O Productions and Students for Ecological and Environmental Developmentfeaturing bluegrass and folk music as part of an effort to promote environmental awareness. The festival also raises money for Rocky Mountain Institute, a nonprofit aimed at the sustainable use of resources.

The day is held in honor of Phil Semmer, a former SEED member, who died in a car crash when studying abroad.

Sunnyside Up is a bluegrass band that incorporates jazz and rock into their music. Kessler, who was a season three contestant on NBC’s “The Voice,” is a Chicago-based artist who has performed at many local venues including Lincoln Hall, Millennium Park and SPACE. 

A&O spokeswoman Shelly Tan said the groups will both bring a great live component to their performances.

“(Sunnyside Up) brings a really unique spin to bluegrass with more of a rocky sound,” the Medill senior said. “Kessler will have a fun public aspect to his performance as people might recognize him from ‘The Voice.'”

The show is free and will take place on Norris University Center’s East Lawn at 1 p.m. Doors will be open at 12:30 p.m. In addition to the concert, many student groups including Project Wildcat, Eco-Reps and Associated Student Government Sustainability will be hosting activities including tie-dye, slacklining and bottle bricking. 

Tan said students should expect a relaxing atmosphere throughout the day.

“It’s one of the most chill events of the year,” she said. “The weather is starting to warm up, and people are starting to get outdoors.”

Philfest co-chair Christine Cho said she is looking forward to working with the other student groups and to hosting the event outdoors.

“Last year, we had to host the event indoors, so I’m hoping we have nice weather this year,” the Weinberg senior said. “We have a lot of cool activities planned such as a smoothie bike, which is where students can make smoothies by peddling a bike that is hooked to a blender.”

Twitter: @tylerpager