McCormick adds graduate robotics program

Tyler Pager, Assistant Campus Editor

The McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences will offer a new graduate program in robotics next fall.

The Master of Science in Robotics will be a full-time, one-year program for students interested in robotics and artificial intelligence. The program will draw on mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering and computer science.

“Robotics is an incredibly fast-growing field, and the job opportunities for graduates in robotics are rapidly expanding,” Todd Murphey, associate professor of mechanical engineering at McCormick and director of the MSR program, said in a news release. “It is challenging to obtain the technical breadth required for a career in robotics in an undergraduate program, so a one-year MS program makes sense for those students who want to work in robotics.”

Robotics applications include defense, manufacturing and health care. McCormick professors, as well as faculty from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and the Feinberg School of Medicine, will teach the classes.

Project areas will include multi-robot systems, robotic manipulation, haptics, simulation and control of multibody systems, swarm robotics, bio-inspired sensing and control and prosthetic engineering.

Students will also participate in robotics research and have the opportunity to network in the robotics industry.

Twitter: @tylerpager