Five Words for Malala Yousafzai

Malala+Yousafzai+is+an+advocate+for+education+and+women%E2%80%99s+rights.+Her+autobiography+%E2%80%9CI+am+Malala%E2%80%9D+was+recently+published.+
Source: MCTdirect
Malala Yousafzai is an advocate for education and women’s rights. Her autobiography “I am Malala” was recently published.

Malala Yousafzai, 16, has caused quite a stir with the recent publication of her autobiography “I Am Malala.” The book tells the story of Yousafzai’s role as an activist for education and women’s rights. A blogger for the BBC, Yousafzai began her career under a pseudonym at age 11, depicting her life under Taliban rule in Pakistan and her personal views on the education of girls in her region.  Nominated for several awards, Yousafzai gained great fame in the media for her efforts to support peace.

In October 2012, Yousafzai was on the bus returning home from school when she was shot in the head in an attempted assassination by members of the Taliban.  After time spent in intensive rehabilitation, Yousafzai was able to beat the odds and survived this brutal attempt at her life.  Now the winner of the first National Youth Peace Prize and a recent nominee for the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize, Yousafzai has successfully become one of the most influential people in the world and continues to promote her beliefs about education and women’s rights.  Northwestern students give their input on her story:

“Read book — you’re missing out.” — Paige Leskin

“Blown away by her bravery.” — Annie Bruce

“Empowering girl empowers with empowerment.” — Austin Busch

“Strong, brave, funny, hyper-intelligent, inspiring.” — Danny Kelleher

Five Words for Malala Yousafzai