Updated: Northwestern student transported after fall from fraternity house window

An injured Northwestern student was transported to Evanston Hospital on Tuesday morning after he fell out of the third-floor window of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, University spokesman Al Cubbage said.

Fiji president Justin Erb said Weinberg junior Matthew Cooney underwent successful surgery Tuesday night and is recovering today. University Police and the Evanston fire department responded to a 911 call at about 9:30 a.m. Cooney was alert and conscious when paramedics arrived on the scene, said Daniel McAleer, University Police deputy chief.

Before he fell, Cooney was not able to leave his room through its door, said Dwight Hohl, division chief of the Evanston fire department.

“He was trying to find another way out of his room, and that’s when he fell,” Hohl said.

University Police are currently investigating the incident and waiting to speak to Cooney, McAleer said.

Bill Martin, executive director of Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, said the 21-year-old is a member of the fraternity and added that alumni are on the scene to provide support to the chapter.

“We’re just very concerned about the condition of the student and are hoping for the best possible outcome for him,” he said.

Cat Zakrzewski and Patrick Svitek